Prologue
It started with the rain, or so we thought.
It rained for days, leaving puddles alongside the house.
The muddy dog footprints in the back hall were insane.
It got better for a time. Then more rain. More puddles.
Then it hadn't rained for a few days, but the puddles persisted.
The muddy feet continued. Called the water company.
They said install our app. App installed. First notification:
You have a leak.
We're losing four gallons an hour.
The leak started June 4th, same time as the rain.
We've lost over a thousand gallons in the last twenty days.
I don't even want to see our water bill.
Called a plumbing company for an estimate. They’re coming out today.
Not sure how we pay for it, but it has to be done.
Hey, guess what?
Surprise.
The company I had all set up to come out today?
Yeah.
They don't do leak detection.
cuss words
lots of cuss words.
Found another company. Verified they do detection and repair.
Coming out tomorrow. When tomorrow? No idea. Just tomorrow.
I didn't want to do anything tomorrow anyway.
Sitting around waiting for plumbers, I shouldn't be allowed that much fun.
The worry over the cost is mounting. The puddles are still there. The muddy footprints continue.
The joys of owning a home.
It started with the rain, or so we thought.
It rained for days, leaving puddles alongside the house.
The muddy dog footprints in the back hall were insane.
It got better for a time. Then more rain. More puddles.
Then it hadn't rained for a few days, but the puddles persisted.
The muddy feet continued. Called the water company.
They said install our app. App installed. First notification:
You have a leak.
We're losing four gallons an hour.
The leak started June 4th, same time as the rain.
We've lost over a thousand gallons in the last twenty days.
I don't even want to see our water bill.
Called a plumbing company for an estimate. They’re coming out today.
Not sure how we pay for it, but it has to be done.
Hey, guess what?
Surprise.
The company I had all set up to come out today?
Yeah.
They don't do leak detection.
cuss words
lots of cuss words.
Found another company. Verified they do detection and repair.
Coming out tomorrow. When tomorrow? No idea. Just tomorrow.
I didn't want to do anything tomorrow anyway.
Sitting around waiting for plumbers, I shouldn't be allowed that much fun.
The worry over the cost is mounting. The puddles are still there. The muddy footprints continue.
The joys of owning a home.
Episode 1: Waiting for the Plumber...
9:00 a.m.
Called to find out my appointment window.
Why I wasn't given a time yesterday when I scheduled today's visit, I'll never know, but there I was.
12:30 to 2:30 was the answer.
I laughed quietly to myself and planned on 2:30 to 3:00 because nobody has ever shown up at the beginning of a service window, and let's be real... previous jobs always "run long."
3:30 p.m.
Text: Your technician is on the way.
Excellent.
4:35 p.m.
No technician.
Called the company.
"I don't know why you got that previous message, but the technician should be calling you any moment."
Interesting.
5:00 p.m.
Phone rings.
"The technician's van broke down."
No really. That's the story they went with.
"We can reschedule you for the 8:00 to 1:00 window tomorrow."
"No. You can schedule me for 8:00." She confirmed.
We'll see what tomorrow brings, but today wasn't exactly a glowing endorsement of the company.
Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode of Will They Actually Show Up?
8:00 a.m.
Text message:
**"We're on our way."**
Excellent. Progress.
9:05 a.m.
No plumber. Called the company.
"Oh... your appointment was canceled."
I'm sorry...
WHAT?
I most certainly did NOT cancel.
Apparently, there was another phone number attached to my account. The confirmation text went to both numbers, and *that* number canceled the appointment.
Not once.
Twice.
Yesterday's appointment. And today's.
Why there was a mystery phone number on my account...
Why nobody noticed the cancellation when I called yesterday...
Those questions remain unanswered.
Meanwhile, the technician, believing I had canceled, headed to his second appointment. He'll come here after he's finished there.
So...
We're back to waiting.
Again.
I called around to other plumbing companies, but nobody can get here until tomorrow.
Ironically, the company that accidentally canceled me twice is still my best chance of getting the leak fixed today.
Stay tuned.
I have no idea how this season ends.
We have to repipe the house.
*sigh*
I figured that'd be the answer because it was the one I didn't want to hear.
But... a 41 y/o house with galvanized pipes...
Exactly.
When the tech left, we were talking about starting the job on Monday.
Then, as I was writing this update, he called.
They're sending a crew to start the job today.
Today!
Now here's hoping there are no "unscheduled" surprises during Episode 4: The Repiping.
A girl can dream.
The saga resumed at 3:00p this afternoon when Oscar showed up.
He spent the next five hours diligently making holes in the house.
Okay, okay... not all over the house.
Just one each in the front hall, the kitchen hallway, the attic, the garage, and one outside by the water service line.
He worked until 8:00p getting everything prepped for tomorrow.
Tomorrow's agenda:
Two more holes.
One in the kitchen bar wall (living room side).
One behind the refrigerator.
Then the new pipes start going in.
The house currently looks a bit like Swiss cheese, but at least we're finally moving in the right direction.
Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment of The Plumbing Saga.
Today's mission:
Tame the leak.
Make more holes.
Okay... the leak isn't really that dramatic, and the holes are way less chaotic than my doodle would have you believe.
But where's the fun in drawing a tiny drip and a perfectly square hole with clean edges?
The repiping adventure continues in a few hours.
Stay tuned... I'm cautiously optimistic this saga may have a happy ending. Our budget may never recover, but the backyard and the water bill should.
Tame the leak.
Make more holes.
Okay... the leak isn't really that dramatic, and the holes are way less chaotic than my doodle would have you believe.
But where's the fun in drawing a tiny drip and a perfectly square hole with clean edges?
The repiping adventure continues in a few hours.
Stay tuned... I'm cautiously optimistic this saga may have a happy ending. Our budget may never recover, but the backyard and the water bill should.
Episode 6: Let's Get This Done
They said they'd be here by 9:00.
By 9:30, I was irritated and on the phone.
I promise it took every ounce of self-control not to light into the person on the other end about how terrible their customer service has been. If you're running late, at least make a quick call to your client.
Instead, I had to call.
Twice, before anyone could even tell me when they'd arrive.
The hell?!
Let me clarify. Once the techs finally got here, they were courteous and worked diligently. My issue isn't with them. It's with a company that apparently doesn't believe in a "running late" courtesy call policy in place.
When they finally pulled in at 10:15, they quickly got drop cloths down, tools unloaded, and got to work.
By the time they left today, all the holes had been made.
The new pipes are in place and ready to be connected.
While making the hole by the main water line on the left side of the house a little bigger, they uncovered another leak... apparently the right side leak that started this whole saga has a friend.
Tomorrow should be the final day.
We'll be without water most of the day, but it also means we should be leak-free by dinnertime.
One more round of the Waiting for the Plumber game.
I can hardly wait.
Episode 7: Will They Finish Today?
The tech called.
He'll be here by 8:30.
Yeah, yeah... I've heard that before.
But thanks for calling this time.
Not sure how long the water will be off today, but I can guarantee we'll desperately need it the entire time it's unavailable.
The second it's back on?
We'll probably forget we even have running water.
Keep your fingers crossed today goes smoothly with zero surprises.
No third leak.
No unexpected "Well... we found something else."
I'll keep ya posted...
He arrived at 9:00.
Because why break the already established "arrive late" tradition?
It's noon.
There's been a lot of activity in the attic. (our pipes drop into the house from there)
The water hasn't been turned off yet, and of course we haven't needed a single drop.
Apparently we're saving up all our water needs for the exact moment they shut it off.
I'm starting to wonder if this project is actually going to end today...
More later.
It's later...
Our tech got left high and dry.
The two other guys who were supposed to join him today called off, leaving him to tackle a three-person job by himself.
To his credit, he's been busting ass all day trying to get us finished.
It's 6:00 p.m.
I'm not a plumber, but looking at today's progress, I'm thinking Monday may be our real finish line.
I'd love to be wrong.
Please let me be wrong.
Stay tuned...
It's 8:00 p.m.
Our tech is exhausted.
He apologized for not getting the job finished today.
So...
Monday, right?
Nope.
He's coming back tomorrow.
Yes.
On a Sunday.
I know.
You don't see that kind of work ethic very often these days.
I'm guessing since his "help" called off today, he'll probably be flying solo again tomorrow.
Here's hoping Episode 8 is the season finale... with zero plot twists.
Oh... and in case you're wondering... the water still hasn't been turned off.
Episode 8: Will This Ever End?
Today's episode should begin around 9:30 a.m.
Well... he said 9:00.
But we all know how that goes.
It sounds like he'll be flying solo again today.
His goal, of course, is to finish the job.
Mine too.
But after the last four days, with the finish line playing hard to get, I'm done assuming anything.
Stay tuned...
He'll be here by 8:30.
Yeah, yeah... I've heard that before.
But thanks for calling this time.
Not sure how long the water will be off today, but I can guarantee we'll desperately need it the entire time it's unavailable.
The second it's back on?
We'll probably forget we even have running water.
Keep your fingers crossed today goes smoothly with zero surprises.
No third leak.
No unexpected "Well... we found something else."
I'll keep ya posted...
Because why break the already established "arrive late" tradition?
It's noon.
There's been a lot of activity in the attic. (our pipes drop into the house from there)
The water hasn't been turned off yet, and of course we haven't needed a single drop.
Apparently we're saving up all our water needs for the exact moment they shut it off.
I'm starting to wonder if this project is actually going to end today...
More later.
Our tech got left high and dry.
The two other guys who were supposed to join him today called off, leaving him to tackle a three-person job by himself.
To his credit, he's been busting ass all day trying to get us finished.
It's 6:00 p.m.
I'm not a plumber, but looking at today's progress, I'm thinking Monday may be our real finish line.
I'd love to be wrong.
Please let me be wrong.
Stay tuned...

Our tech is exhausted.
He apologized for not getting the job finished today.
So...
Monday, right?
Nope.
He's coming back tomorrow.
Yes.
On a Sunday.
I know.
You don't see that kind of work ethic very often these days.
I'm guessing since his "help" called off today, he'll probably be flying solo again tomorrow.
Here's hoping Episode 8 is the season finale... with zero plot twists.
Oh... and in case you're wondering... the water still hasn't been turned off.
Today's episode should begin around 9:30 a.m.
Well... he said 9:00.
But we all know how that goes.
It sounds like he'll be flying solo again today.
His goal, of course, is to finish the job.
Mine too.
But after the last four days, with the finish line playing hard to get, I'm done assuming anything.
Stay tuned...
He arrived at 9:35.
Close enough.
The water was turned off by 10:00.
Sometime after that, a second technician showed up to help, so our guy finally isn't flying solo.
It's almost 3:00.
They've been working hard all day.
The water has been off this entire time, and somehow we've managed to survive. Barely.
The good news?
He says they're getting close to turning the water back on.
Which also means...
We're getting close to the end of **The Plumbing Saga.**
I'm cautiously optimistic.
But after these last few days, I'm not celebrating until water comes out of a faucet, they're packed up, and I watch the truck disappear down the street for the final time.
It's 6:30 p.m.
The water is still off.
The drilling and hammering sounds now have longer stretches of silence between them...
But they're still working.
I'm cautiously hopeful but also increasingly convinced this project may never end.
Episode 9: The Grand Finale
At 8:30 they drove away.
The job is done.
The water is back on.
And I had no idea how much water pressure we'd been missing until I turned on the faucet.
Apparently we've been living with a polite suggestion of water all this time.
The repipe is finished. The backyard can begin recovering (that project starts tomorrow).
The water bill might eventually forgive us.
Our budget, however, has entered witness protection.
Thanks to everyone who followed along through puddles, waiting, holes in the walls, repeatedly changing completion times. It was far more entertaining with company.
The water is still off.
The drilling and hammering sounds now have longer stretches of silence between them...
But they're still working.
I'm cautiously hopeful but also increasingly convinced this project may never end.
At 8:30 they drove away.
The job is done.
The water is back on.
And I had no idea how much water pressure we'd been missing until I turned on the faucet.
Apparently we've been living with a polite suggestion of water all this time.
The repipe is finished. The backyard can begin recovering (that project starts tomorrow).
The water bill might eventually forgive us.
Our budget, however, has entered witness protection.
Thanks to everyone who followed along through puddles, waiting, holes in the walls, repeatedly changing completion times. It was far more entertaining with company.
End of Season 1
Just when we thought the final credits had rolled and the series was over...
Two weeks later... Season 2
I would like to file an official complaint with whoever keeps approving these episodes.
Remember that part of the repipe where we decided not to replace the line from the street to the house because, you know... saving money?
Yeah.
Turns out we saved exactly *zero dollars*
The line from the street to the house now has to be replaced too.
Digging might start this weekend, but definitely by Monday.
I have no inspirational ending for this update.
Just...
*cuss words.*
Lots and lots of cuss words.
Season 2, Episode 1, Part 1: The Digging
Season 2, Episode 1 premieres today.
Backstory: The leak notification estimating we were losing 1.4 gallons of water an hour showed up the night before my husband's surgery, shortly after we said goodbye to our 15y/o dog, because apparently life likes to stack dramatic storylines instead of running them one at a time.
Today's notification?
3.6 gallons an hour.
Clearly the pipe didn't get the memo that we're a little busy right now.
The trench from the street to the house is scheduled to be dug today.
The appointment window opened at 8:00 a.m., which, based on previous experience, translates to somewhere around 9-ish... maybe even 10.
Maybe the digging crew is different.
I'm not taking that bet.
I have no idea how long this is all going to take, and honestly, I don't really care. They'll be working 100% outside, so as long as they leave us with running water each night, they can take the entire week.
Stay tuned... I'm sure Episode 2 will write itself.
Season 2, Episode 1, Part 2: Rain Delay
The Season 2 premiere is experiencing a weather delay.
There is no word yet on when today's premiere will begin.
We have reached out to Mother Nature for comment, but have not received a reply.
Stay tuned...
Update
The rain delay is officially over.
Well... the delay part is.
It's still raining, just not hard enough to stop production.
Season 2, Episode 1 is now back in progress.
Season 2, Episode 2: Fixing the Leak
We were surprised to learn Episode 2 was going to take place today as well.
The digging is already complete. It seems the combination of a leaking pipe and several hours of rain softened up what is normally rock-hard Texas dirt.
Water will be shut off for the next 2 - 3 hours while the new pipe is installed.
The trench won't be filled back in for a few days because the ground needs to dry out first, but the leak itself will be fixed today.
Notification Received
The leak is officially gone!
We'd better not receive another leak notification for the next... let's say 30 years. I think that's a reasonable request.
Thanks in advance.
Season 2, Episode 3: The Moat
Three days of rain have transformed the trench into what appears to be a fully functional moat.
Unfortunately, moats were not part of the original plumbing plan, so we're still waiting for everything to dry out before the season finale can be completed.
Will this ever end?
After a week and a half of waiting...
Season 2, Episode 4: Fillin' in the Trench (Series Finale)
I came home from my meeting to discover that S2,
Ep 4: Fillin' in the Trench, otherwise known as the series finale, had
taken place while I was away.
I would've taken a picture, but Tropical Storm Bertha is currently dumping rain on us like we personally insulted her.
I would've taken a picture, but Tropical Storm Bertha is currently dumping rain on us like we personally insulted her.
.png)
May it never be renewed.





No comments:
Post a Comment