Sunday, July 19, 2026

Why I Walked Into This Room

 

Why I Walked Into This Room

I had a thought.

A good thought.
An important thought.

At least I assume it was important.

It was important enough
to get me out of my chair
and send me walking
into another room.

I arrived.

And immediately realized
I had no idea why.

The room looked familiar.
The things in it belonged to me.

One of them
was apparently
the reason I came in here.

Unfortunately,
the identity of that item
had been lost.

Not misplaced.

Lost.

Somewhere between
the first room
and the second.

I looked around,
hoping the object itself
would reveal its importance.

Nothing.

Everything appeared
equally unnecessary.

The original mission
had vanished.

Whether this was due to age,
distraction,
or a squirrel outside the window
remains unclear.

Eventually,
I accepted the situation.

Whatever I wanted
was obviously
not that important.

If it had been important,
I would have remembered it.

Probably.

So I left.

Confident the matter
was settled.

Until twenty minutes later,
when I remembered.

I walked back
into the other room.

And forgot again.


Denise Govan Books


No comments:

Post a Comment